Perhaps you’re the lucky recipient of a new tablet or eReader? Maybe you’re travelling and want to give an audiobook a try for your commute? Reading back through an older series, and discovered that the titles are out of print – but available as eBooks? Whether you’re new to the online library altogether or just haven’t used it for a while, here are some tips to help you get started with eBooks.
- Most of our eBooks & eAudiobooks are housed in our cloudLibrary collection. Here you will find the most recent releases, popular fiction and nonfiction, as well as some of your old favourites.
- All of the books in our cloudLibrary collection follow a one copy/one user lending model; this means that even though the book is a digital file, only one reader can borrow it at a time. You can place holds on titles the same way you can with print copies, and you will receive an email when your copy is available to checkout. Tip: If you’re in a hurry, use the filter to narrow your search to books available now.
- There is also a selection of eBooks & eAudiobooks available on demand in the Hoopla app. These are only available for tablets and phones – not eReaders.
- You can borrow all eBooks and eAudiobooks for 21 days (that’s right – no shortened loans for high demand items), and you can have up to 20 items checked out at any given time.
- eBooks and eAudiobooks can be downloaded to your phone or tablet and read offline. To do this, you will use the cloudLibrary App.
- Don’t forget that you can change the text size and layout of your books! Using our Apps you can make any book large print.
A note RE: eReaders
If you’re using an eReader (e-ink – not a tablet), please note that Kindle and Sony eReaders are NOT compatible. We recommend Kobo. Also, there is currently no way to borrow wireless direct to the eReader. You must download the book to a computer that has Adoble Digital Editions and cloudLibrary desktop reader installed (both free), and then connect your eReader to the computer with a USB cable to transfer the book.
If you’re having trouble getting started, we are here to help! Please give us a call and we can set up a time to work together, either inside the library or over the phone. HAPPY READING.